Last Updated on
Best Dashboard Cameras For Truckers: 23 Year Road Pro Expert Opinion
For 23 years of my life, I drove a truck. I drove both OTR and Line Haul. I have almost 3,000,000 miles on my backside. I might have a little bit of experience when it comes to the needs of truck drivers. That is why I sent my team out to research which dash cams would be the best for truck drivers.
After they came back with the results, I then took my knowledge of what is needed when you are driving a truck and chose the best dash cams for truck drivers.
I don’t know about you, but I am sick and tired of people always blaming the driver. It is time we had a way to prove it wasn’t our fault some idiot was driving like a maniac.
How We Chose These Dash Cameras
Why Should You Trust Us To Help You Choose A Dashboard Cam For Your Truck?
We spent over 40 hours researching and writing this list of the cameras for professional drivers so you wouldn’t have to spend your time doing the research. We consulted with the top experts in the industry and coupled that with our own experience to bring you this list. We do not accept free products or incentives when we review products to keep our opinions unbiased and helpful to our readers.
In making this list of the dashboard cameras for truckers, we kept three things in mind: Features, price, and customer satisfaction.
One of the most important things about purchasing a new dash cam is the features that the camera has. Does it have different settings like night vision? Is it easy to operate while driving? How well is it constructed? What type of warranty does the dash cam have? How does it mount?
All of these things are important in choosing your new dash cam for your truck, or deciding which one will be an excellent gift for a friend or loved one. So that is what we looked for in these dash cams. We only picked cameras that had one or more of these options.
We spent over 40 hours researching and writing this list of the cameras so you wouldn’t have to spend your time doing the research. Now you can start spending more time making money, and less time researching.
We kept the price range around $200.00 or less so that any driver can afford a dash cam to protect himself. That being said, the pricier cameras usually are the better quality ones that have better resolution and other features. It is how things work in this world. You get what you pay for.
However, if you don’t need the absolute best camera right off the bat, we have an option for you at the end of the article that is quite inexpensive.
Most drivers buy a dash cam to protect themselves in case of an accident. We made sure that we only listed the cameras that will accomplish that goal with the least amount of fuss involved.
Every dashboard camera that we have listed are rated by customers at 80% or higher depending on the rating system used on different websites. They are either four stars or higher at the time of the review.
We also read all the individual customer reviews to see how well the manufacturer responded to customer issues and how well people recommended these cameras. We only took into account customers with a verified purchase. They are real buyers reviewing the product.
The Best Dash Cams For Truck Drivers
Picking the best dash cams for my fellow truckers was tough. It depends upon your needs. Do you own your truck or are you a company driver? Do you drive team or solo? Do you drive OTR or Line Haul or maybe even a city driver? Do you share your truck with somebody else, so you have to pack your equipment in and out all the time? These are the type of questions that you and I need to think about when buying a dash cam for your truck. Not all of the dash cams will fit your need.
Here is my list of the best dash cams for truckers that I thought you should consider.
Best Dashboard Cameras For Truckers
When making up the list of the best cam/vehicle recorders for professional truck drivers, we considered these factors. We looked at how easy they were to install and uninstall since many company drivers slip seat their trucks.
We looked at the camera’s ability to record front and right mirror view, and we looked at recording quality and price as well since driving is not a path to getting rich.
Here are our recommendations to all our driver friends out there.
- ✅ PREMIUM DASH CAM w/ 2560x1080 / 2306x1296P SUPER HD - The highest resolution currently available on any dash camera. Everything is recorded in crisp, 2304x1296P resolution allowing you to see the most detail.
- ✅ WDR (WIDE DYNAMIC RANGE) / HDR Technology - WDR technology allows for the best night video. WDR is able to show a fully balanced exposure, with the ability to compensate light and dark spots of the frame in one shot.
- ✅ 3x MOUNTS FOR MULTIPLE VEHICLE - 2 Sticky Mounts + 1 Suction Cup ★ PLUG & PLAY - Once a microSD card is inserted, all you need to do is plug the camera in to the cigarette lighter outlet and it will start recording automatically.
- ✅ GPS Enabled - Follow your video alongside a Google Maps screen showing you exactly where you were! ★ EXTRA WIDE ANGLE LENS - The dash camera is equipped with a 170 degree extra wide angle lens that allows you to capture absolutely everything that you see in front of your vehicle.
- ✅ CONTINUOUS LOOP RECORDING - The HD PRO will start recording automatically and will fill up the microSD card until full. Then it will automatically delete the oldest file and replace it with the new. Allowing for fully automatic and continuous playback!
First Runner Up For Trucking Dash Cam In 2018
- FORWARD COLLISION WARNING - Alerts if you drive too close to the car ahead (Dash Cam 35 only).
- RED LIGHT & SPEED CAMERA WARNINGS - Alerts you to nearby red light cameras or speed cameras (Dash Cam 35 only).
- INCIDENT DETECTION - G-Sensor automatically saves footage of incidents on impact.
- SNAPSHOT - Allows you to take still images, from inside or outside your vehicle, to capture close-up collision damage.
- DASH CAM PLAYER - Play back footage right on the display, or use our free Dash Cam Player to review later on your computer.
Honorable Mention For Best Dash Camera For Truckers In 2018
- YOUR EXPERT WITNESS: The best dash camera 2016 voted by Wirecutter just got even better - records Ultra HD 2.5K video featuring the latest A12 Ambarella chipset and CMOS image sensor - market leading reliability and image quality in all light conditions - avoids pricey, unnecessary features such as GPS and WiFi
- ULTRA 2.7K IMAGE QUALITY: Never miss a license plate in stunning Wide Quad HD (WQHD) 2560x1440P and 155-degree viewing angle at 30 frames per second - capture more detail at a distance with optimized field-of-view for minimal fisheye image distortion - featuring 3.0" display screen
- HDR NIGHT VISION: Enable High Dynamic Range (HDR) for superior low light compensation when driving at night - reacts to extreme light conditions just like your eye, balancing exposure and light/dark spots - six glass lenses reduce glare and deliver superior video quality - essential for capturing consistent image detail across a variety of light conditions
- AUTOMATIC SAFEGUARDS: Records automatically on vehicle ignition - switches off automatically with ignition off - energy saving LCD screen off timer - loop recording feature for efficient storage management - manual and automatic video protection from deletion - one button audio recording on/off - built-in G-sensor/accelerometer triggers motion/crash vibration detection recording - parking mode watchdog for 24/7 surveillance of your vehicle
- BUY FROM US: Now 32GB SD memory card inside every pack- Support up to 128GB card (most other models can only support up to 64GB card) - solid suction mount with screw-in attachment, fully adjustable for best viewing and quickly removable - extra long 13-foot USB cable for easy routing inside your vehicle's interior - Dual port USB adapter
Inexpensive Dash Cams For Truckers
There were a lot of good choices in the wireless dash cam category. We know that road expenses are high so we wanted to give you a couple of quality options that inexpensive enough so that you have some money left over for mama.
- Internal GPS - Embeds exact location and time in every recording. Free PC software allows you to view along with location and G-Sensor information
- 118° viewing angle - Crystal clear 1080P HD video that matches Drive HD's best performance identifying license plates at long ranges
- Easy installation - Includes an 8GB MicroSD memory card so the unit is ready out-of-the-box
- Internal GPS - Embeds exact location and time in every recording. Free PC software allows you to view along with location and G-Sensor information 1.5in LCD screen - Additional video playback on your TV or computer
- 【FHD 1080P DASH CAM & NIGHT VISION】Apeman dash cam adopts WDR technology. It can capture high-resolution clear video even in bright or low light. At night, it will automatically adjust light when it records. Giving you high quality image.
- 【DURABLE METAL DESIGN】The C570 dash cam features a more durable zinc alloy shell for excellent heat dissipation, collision and explosion. The exterior has a rich texture, a comfortable feel and a unique design.
- 【G-SENSOR & MOTION DETECTION】The dash cam’s built-in G-sensor can lock current video when a collision happens,saving your evidence for insurance claims. When the car recorder detects moving subjects within 3 meters, it will automatically record to avoid emergency.
- 【LOOP RECORDING】Loop record automatically overwrites the oldest unlocked file when the memory card is full. This ensures your drive is always record to avoid emergency.
- 【VARIOUS FUNCTIONS & WARRANTY】The dash cam includes Super Night Version,Ultra Wide 170 Degree Angle, 6G Lens, Date Stamp, etc. 45-day money back guarantee, replacement on 12-month quality problem, 24-month warranty period.