Last Updated on
Whether you are the type of person that loves to cook, or you are a busy person who needs to prepare a fast meal, or you live on heated coffee and microwave burritos, a microwave oven has become an essential kitchen appliance.
At Taber’s Best Reviews we take our job of reviewing products seriously. We spent hours researching and testing each oven to ensure that our list of microwaves is the absolute best on the internet. Our tests included countertop, over-the-range, and built-in microwave inserts.
We tested each oven by using coffee to examine the reheat capability, frozen meat to check the defrosting capability, and burritos to test the heating capability. We also looked at the size, energy efficiency, and the versatility of each microwave.
You will find a quick comparison chart of the best microwave ovens, then below we include the individual models along with a mini-review to go along with it. There is also a link to our complete review at the bottom of the mini-review.
However, before you start, here is an informational video from C|net that will help you know what to look for in a microwave.
Scroll down to see more great microwaves
How We Chose These Microwaves For You
In making this list of microwaves, we kept three things in mind: Features, price, and customer satisfaction.
- One of the most important things about purchasing a new oven is the features that the microwave has.
- How fast does it heat?
- Is it energy efficient?
- What type of microwave is it?
- Does it have presets and power controls?
- Will it defrost and cook at the same time?
All of these things are important in choosing your new microwave, or deciding which one will be an excellent gift for a friend or loved one. So that is what we looked for these ovens. We only picked microwaves that had one or more of these options.
We spent over 40 hours researching and writing this list of ovens so you wouldn’t have to spend your time doing the research. Now you can take the time that you saved doing all the research and spend with it your family, friends, or for that matter, cooking.
Price Of The Microwave
We kept the price range of the microwaves around $300.00 or less except for our over-the-range model so that anyone can afford a top quality microwave oven. That being said, the pricier units usually are the better quality models that have, the better heating technology and will last longer. It is how things work in this world. You get what you pay for.
However, if you don’t need the absolute best microwave oven right off the bat, we have a couple of models for you that are quite inexpensive.
Most people buy a microwave to make their job easier and their quality of life better. We made sure that we only listed the ovens that will accomplish that goal.
Every microwave that we have listed are rated by customers at 80% or higher depending on the rating system used on different websites.
We also read all the individual customer reviews of the units to see how well the manufacturer responded to customer issues and how well people recommended these ovens. We only took into account customers with a verified purchase. They are real buyers reviewing the product.
What’s The Best To Buy In 2018
Picking the best microwave for you depends upon your needs.
- Do you need an over-the-range microwave, built-in microwave, or combo microwave unit?
- Are you going to prepare food for more than one person?
- Will you be using your microwave to defrost and cook meals?
- How much space do you have in your kitchen for a microwave?
- How fast do you want your microwave to cook?
These are the type of questions you need to think about when buying an oven. Not all of the microwaves will fit your need.
Here is our list of top microwaves that we think you should consider.
Best Microwave – 2018
After doing all our research, here are the best all around microwave ovens we could find based on our criteria, research, and testing. We think that any of these models would be a great addition to your kitchen or small office break room,
- Unique dynamic power adjustment lets user change both power and time during the cooking cycle
- Ten power levels allow you to adjust the power from 10 percent to 100 per cent with the twist of a dial
- Sensor IQ Reheat and Cook function automatically adjusts cooking time to match the food being cooked
- Polished Stainless Steel Interior, Fascia and Door Handle
- 1 Year Replacement Warranty
- Capacity 1.2 cu. ft. (34 liters), 1100 Watts
- 1.6-cubic-foot cooking capacity, sized to fit on your kitchen counter
- 1300 watts of cooking power and 10 power levels allow you to adjust the power from 10% to 100%
- Premium Black Stainless Steel design finish helps reduce fingerprints and smudges. Width (in): 19.17, Height (in): 12.84, Length (in): 21.77
- Innovative Smart Sensor Cooking allows you to prepare preset menu items and reheat foods with precision and no guesswork
- Unique Inverter Precision Cooking Technology prevents overcooking and loss of nutrients
- Interior LED lighting allows you to watch your food as it cooks and Memory Function for customized settings
- TrueCookPlus is patented technology that does all the calculations for you, ensuring the food cooks perfectly every time. TrueCook numbers can be found on leading food distributer's packaging
- Sensor Cooking technology senses humidity levels within the oven and automatically adjusts cooking time and performance to help provide optimal heating performance
- With the new EasyClean interior, you can have quick and high performance cleaning inside and out without using chemicals
- Round Cavity optimizes interior microwave oven space with no hard edges which makes for easier cleaning
- Core features: child lockout and turntable
- TrueCookPlus does the thinking for you. You can forget about vague microwave directions, simply enter the food item code found on the label of your favorite food and the microwave oven does the rest
- The curved interior design maximizes the size of the 16" turntable to accommodate large, round cookware and increases the usable cooking area
- The EasyClean Coated Round cavity in this microwave helps you easily clean the interior without using chemicals and there are no hard to reach edges
- Sensor cooking technology senses humidity levels within the oven and automatically adjusts cooking time and performance
- Add Time Controls makes reheats easy by adding cook time in 30 second or 1 minute increments
- Cavity Dimension: 16 11/16" x 11 1/4" x 18 1/16" (WxHxD)
Microwaves Under 200 Dollars
If you do not need the absolute best oven but still want a top quality microwave, then we suggest these models.
At the time of writing this article, all of these ovens were priced under $200.00 However as market conditions change, the prices could vary as well. However, each price shown will be the current price when you are reading this article.
- 1.1-cubic-foot capacity
- 1000 watts
- 11 power levels (0%-100%)
- Inverter Technology: Quicker, more even cooking, less noise, and lower energy consumption
- Sensor Cook: Automatically adjusts the time and temperature to cook food the right way and without any worries
- 0.7 cu.ft. capacity microwave
- 700 watts of cooking power
- Stylish black and stainless steel exterior
- 10 power levels, Dimensions 14 x 17.3 x 10.1 inches
- Simple one-touch cooking for 6 popular uses
Best Over-The-Range Microwave
Do you want to mount your microwave over the range or oven? This can save you space in your kitchen and make it convenient when cooking.
Here is our choice of an over-the-range microwave oven for you to consider.
- 1050 Watts Of Cooking Power
- 400 CFM Venting
- 10 Power Levels
- Dimensions (WHD): 29 15/16" X 17 5/16" X 16 5/32"
Best Built-In Microwaves
Maybe you would rather mount your microwave oven in one of your cabinet spaces. This again can save you space and give you a convenient place for your microwave and make your kitchen more stylish.
Here are the top choices of built-in microwaves for you to consider.
Panasonic Microwave Oven NN-SD975S Stainless Steel Countertop/Built-In Cyclonic Wave with Inverter Technology...
- PANASONIC COUNTERTOP MICROWAVE OVEN CYCLONIC INVERTER: This 1250-Watt high power, 2.2-cubic-foot capacity stainless steel countertop/built-in microwave maintains the full flavor and nutrients of your favorite foods with Cyclonic Wave technology for ultra-efficient cooking at all temperature levels
- INVERTER TECHNOLOGY WITH TURBO DEFROST: patented Inverter Technology generates a seamless stream of power and delivers consistent, evenly prepared food without overcooking; advanced Inverter Turbo Defrost speeds up defrosting time
- LARGE FAMILY SIZE: This countertop microwave with 16.5-inch turntable is thinner, lighter and more efficient, allowing you to devote less space to electronics and more to interior capacity; internal dimensions (H x W x D): 10-15/16-inch x 18-7/16-inch x 18-1/2-inch
- SMART COOKING SETTING: Built-in automatic sensor adjusts power and times based on different foods; other advantages include 20 preset menu items, quick-minute timer, delay start and child safety lock
- FOOD WARMING FEATURE: This Inverter microwave keeps soups, gravies or desserts warm and fresh until get ready to serve
Panasonic Microwave Oven NN-SD945S Stainless Steel Countertop/Built-In with Inverter Technology and Genius...
- Panasonic Microwave: This 1250-Watt high power, 2.2-cubic-foot capacity stainless steel countertop/built-in microwave delivers a seamless stream of cooking power for even cooking and delicious flavor
- Inverter Technology with Turbo Defrost: Patented Inverter Technology generates a seamless stream of power and delivers consistent, evenly prepared food without overcooking; advanced Inverter Turbo Defrost speeds up defrosting time
- Large Family Size: This countertop microwave with 16-1/2-inch turntable is thinner, lighter and more efficient, allowing you to devote less space to electronics and more to interior capacity; internal dimensions (H x W x D): 10-15/16-inch x 18-7/16-inch x 18-1/2-inch
- Smart Cooking Settings with Genius Sensor: Built-in automatic Genius Sensor adjusts power and times based on different foods; other advantages include 18 preset menu items, quick-minute timer, delay start and child safety lock
- Keep Warm Feature: This inverter microwave keeps soups, gravies or desserts warm and fresh until ready to serve
Best Microwave And Convection Oven
Maybe you like to cook pizza or want to crisp your corn dogs. You need a microwave with a grill.
Here is our top choice of a combo microwave oven that will do just that!.
- Ceramic Enamel Interior that is both scratch resistant and easy to clean
- 1.1 cu. ft. Capacity with 1000 W of Cooking Power and 10 power levels
- Auto Cook Options to handle any meal with the push of a button
- Grilling Element with Ceramic Plate, pemium Stainless Steel Design with LED display
- Power consumption 1600 Watts 14.5 Ampere, power source 120 Volts 60 Hertz
Final Thoughts On These Ovens
Nothing can be more annoying than getting a microwave that doesn’t do the job you need it to do. There has been more than one occasion when I have “out cheaped” myself and caused myself much headache and wasted money. I am done buying the $49.00 specials.
A suitable microwave will save you time and save you money in the long run. It doesn’t take much to make up the added cost of a top-rated microwave when it always works, doesn’t ruin your food, and doesn’t need replacing all the time.
We believe that this list of ovens will save you that time and heartache and in the end add to your bottom dollar.