Sometimes the best sound is silence.
When you are on the hunt for the best noise-canceling headphones, it is important that you do your research. They can be expensive. Many are upwards of $300.00 or more. However, they are worth the price. The difference between that free set of earbuds you got with your smartphone or iPod and a quality pair of noise-canceling headphones is like night and day. It is indescribable.
That is why we at Taber’s Best Reviews set out on a journey to discover the top noise canceling headphones for you. We know your time is valuable and you would rather listen to your tunes or favorite podcast instead of spending hours on the internet.
We spent hours researching and testing each product on our list of noise-canceling headphones is the greatest that can be found on the internet. Our research included wireless noise-canceling headphones, wired noise-canceling headphones, and some lesser priced models as well for those that cannot justify an expensive pair.
We tested them using some of the heaviest metal found, the sweetest symphonies, and with podcasts featuring all different types of speaking styles. We also looked at the sizes and weights, battery life when applicable, and the comfort of wearing them for long periods of time.
In this article, you will find a quick comparison chart of the top-notch noise-canceling headphones, and then below you will see a mini review of each headphone.
Our Top 3 Headphone Picks For You In 2018
Scroll down to see more great noise canceling headphones
How We Chose These Headphones For You
Why You Should Trust Us
We spent over 40 hours researching and writing this list of noise canceling earphones so you wouldn’t have to spend your time doing the research. We consulted with the top experts in the industry and coupled that with our own experience to bring you this list. We do not accept free products or incentives when we review products to keep our opinions unbiased and helpful to our readers.
In making this list of the best headsets, we kept three things in mind: Features, price, and customer satisfaction.
One of the most important things about purchasing a new set of headphones is the features that the headset has.
- How hot does it get?
- Is it wired or wireless?
- Is it a combo set?
- Does it have voice, touch, or button controls?
- Is it comfortable to wear over long periods of time?
- How useful is the noise cancellation feature?
All of these things are important in choosing your new set of noise-canceling earphones, or deciding which one will be an excellent gift for a friend or loved one. So that is what we looked for in each headphone We only picked headsets that had one or more of these options.
We kept the price range around $400.00 or less so that anyone can afford a top noise canceling set of headphones. When buying your first set of phones, you might not want to buy the most expensive ones. You might want to start off small and then upgrade later if you feel that you need to. That is why we have also included some sets that range under $200.00 for you.
Most people buy a set of noise-canceling earphones to block out the noise and distractions of the world around them and make their quality of life better. We made sure that we only listed the headsets that will accomplish that goal.
Every set of headphones that we have listed are rated by customers at 80% positive or higher depending on the rating system used on different websites.
We also read all the individual customer reviews to see how well the manufacturer responded to customer issues and how well people recommended these headphones. We only took into account customers with a verified purchase. They are real buyers reviewing the product.
Which Are The Best?
Picking a good set of noise canceling headphone depends upon your needs.
- What type of noise are you trying to block out?
- Do you want wired, wireless or both?
- Do you need to be able to receive calls and talk as well?
- How big do you want your headphones to be?
- How long will you be wearing your headphones on average?
- Do you need extended battery life?
These are the type of questions you need to think about when buying a set of headphones. Not all of the headphones will fit your need.
Here is our list of the best headphones that we think you should consider.
There are three different type of noise-canceling headphones. They are wireless headphones, wired headphones and those that offer both options. We separated them by wired or wireless. The ones that provide both are listed under the wireless category
Here are three wireless noise-canceling headphones that we feel are the best of the best overall.
- Noise-rejecting dual-microphone system for clear phone calls and voice activation, which now includes Amazon Alexa. Simply update your software via the Bose Connect App and you will have the ability to hit the Action button to access hands-free voice control. You can also use the Action button to adjust the level of noise cancellation.
First Runner Up In 2018
- Noise Gard hybrid active noise cancellation blocks ambient noise using 4 microphones for ultimate isolation to dramatically improve sound quality in noisy environments. Connectivity Technology: Wireless
Honorable Mention In 2018
Sony MDR-1000X Noise Cancelling, Bluetooth Headphone, Black (International Version with Full Warranty)
- Connectivity Technology: Wireless
Other Top Headphones
There were a lot of good choices in the wireless noise canceling headphone category. We did not want to fail to give credit where credit was due. So here are three more wireless noise-canceling headphones that we feel would be a good choice for the money as well. We didn’t find them quite the best of the best.
Sennheiser PXC 550 Wireless – NoiseGard Adaptive Noise Cancelling, Bluetooth Headphone with Touch Sensitive Control and 30-Hour Battery Life
- Bluetooth 4.2 wireless technology in an ergonomically designed lightweight, comfortable and collapsible travel headset perfect for travel. Connectivity Technology: Wireless
- NoiseGard adaptive noise cancellation ensures superior sound quality in every environment
- Stylish, Foldable Design
- Soft Ear Cushions & Padded Headband
- Built-in, Noise-canceling Microphone
- Audio Quality: Immersive, high-res sound, and powerful speaker drivers deliver the right balance of rich bass, crisp highs, and natural mid-tones for your music
- Active Noise Cancelling Headphones (ANC):Switch on active noise cancelling (ANC) to minimize ambient noise while working or traveling
Best Wired Noise-Canceling Headphones
Maybe some of you don’t care about being connected to your CD player, iPod, computer or another device. Alternatively, perhaps you still feel that wireless transmission loses some of the audio quality that you are listening to. Either way or both, we thought that it was important to list some wired noise-canceling headphones that might do the trick for you. Here are a couple of options that you will love.
- Ear coupling: Over-ear (circumaural)
- Primary application: General listening
- Secondary application: Not applicable
- Operating principle: Closed
- Connectivity Technology: Wired
- QuietPoint noise-cancelling headphones feature noise-cancelling circuitry that effectively reduces environmental noise by 90%
- Closed-back headphones feature large-aperture 40 mm drivers with neodymium magnet systems for impactful bass, extended treble and higher fidelity
Models Under $200
When we set out to research these headphones for you we were a little surprised that noise-canceling technology was still so expensive. I think we were programmed by the idea that since you could get Walmart specials for under $50.00 that prices would have dropped for noise canceling headphones. However, we really should have known better. You do get what you pay for.
That being said, without compromising our commitment to providing you the best quality choices in headphones we did find some that are more affordable. Here are a couple of great sets of headphones that you might want to consider if you are on a tight budget.
- Bluetooth 4.0
- NXTGen Active Noise Cancelling Technology
- Rechargeable battery with up to 10 hours of performance
- TruNote Auto Sound Calibration
- Sculpted Ear Cushions for Extra Comfort
- Industry-leading digital noise cancelling technology. Connectivity Technology: Wireless
- Feel the power of EXTRA BASS. Charge time : Approximately 7 Hours
- High quality wireless audio with Bluetooth and NFC. Plug : L-shaped stereo mini plug (supplied headphone cable)
Enjoying Your New Headphones
Whether you are traveling by plane, train, or automobile, you are going to love your new set of noise canceling headphones. There is nothing like being immersed in the sounds of music, or for that matter if you are trying to block out the world, the sounds of silence!
Once you buy your set of noise-canceling headphones, you will never return to those Walmart specials I talked about earlier. You will have arrived in audio heaven.