When you are on the hunt for the best weed trimmer, weed whacker, weed eater, whatever you want to call it, it is important that you do your research. They can be expensive. Many are upwards of $500.00 or more. But they really are worth the price. The difference between pulling those weeds by hand and mowing them down with a weed whacker is like night and day. It is amazing how quick it can be done.
That is why we at Taber’s Best Reviews set out on a journey to discover the best gas, cordless, and inexpensive weed trimmers for you. We know your time is valuable and you would rather spend time with your family and friends instead of spending hours on the internet reading about things like lithium ion batteries, 2 cycle engines, and manufacturer reputations.
We spent hours researching and testing each product so our list of the best weed trimmers is the best that can be found on the internet.
We consulted with experts who have used these trimmers in the most extreme conditions. We also looked at things like size, maneuverability, durability, and reliability. We know that you will be using your weed eater for years to come and we wanted to make sure that we were giving you good advice.
In this article you will find a quick price comparison chart of the best weed trimmers, and then below you will find product listings for each weed eater pulled from Amazon’s product database for you to compare. We have broken them up into these categories. Best overall weed trimmers, best gas powered weed trimmers, best cordless weed trimmers and the top weed trimmers under $100.00
But before you start, here is a really informational video from Consumer Reports that will help you know what to look for in a weed whacker.
Our Top Weed Trimmer Picks
How We Chose These Weed Whackers
Why You Should Trust Us
We spent over 40 hours researching and writing this list of the best weed trimmer so you wouldn’t have to spend your time doing the research. We consulted with the top experts in the industry and coupled that with our own personal experience to bring you this list. We do not accept free products or incentives when we review products in order to keep our opinions unbiased and helpful to our readers.
In making this list of the best weed whackers we kept 3 things in mind: Features, price, and customer satisfaction.
One of the most important things about purchasing a new weed eater is the features that the trimmer comes with. How easy is it to start? Is it electric or gas powered? Is it hard to maneuver? Does it have the power for deep or thick weeds? Is it large enough for big jobs? How well does it do in tight spaces?
All of these things are important in choosing your new weed trimmer, or deciding which one will be a good gift for a friend or loved one. So that is what we looked for. We only picked trimmers that had one or more of these options.
We kept the price range around $300.00 or less, so that anyone can afford investing in a top notch weed whacker. When you start getting more expensive than that, then you are heading into commercial grade weed trimmers and this article is for the average person.
When buying your first weed eater you might not want to buy the most expensive one. You might want to start off small and then upgrade later if you feel that you need to. That is why we have also included some weed trimmers that range under $100.00 for you.
Most people buy a weed whacker to make the job of removing unsightly weeds much easier and make their quality of life better. We made sure that we only listed the trimmers that will accomplish that goal.
Every weed eater that we have listed are rated by customers at 80% positive or higher depending on the rating system used on different websites. We do not list companies that do not take care of their customers.
We also read all the individual customer reviews to see how well the manufacturer responded to customer issues and how well people recommended these trimmers. We only took into account customers with a verified purchase. They are real buyers reviewing the product.
Which Are The Best Weed Trimmers?
Picking the best weed trimmer really depends upon your needs.
- What type of weed removal are you doing?
- Do you want gas, electric, wired or wireless?
- Do you need to be able to cut large amounts of weeds?
- How wide of a cutting path do you desire?
- How long will it take you to clear your weeds if you are using an electric weed whacker? Do you need long battery life?
These are the type of questions you need to think about when buying a new weed eater. Not all of the trimmers will fit your need.
Here is our list of the best weed trimmers that we think you should consider.
The Best Quality Weed Trimmer – Editors Choice
Quality is one of the major considerations when purchasing a weed trimmer for yourself or a loved one. That is why we have started our weed whacker list with the best quality weed eaters available. We included one gas powered weed trimmer and one cordless trimmer. They are the best overall option.
The two weed eaters listed in this category were chosen based on the materials used in the construction of the trimmer and the reputation of the brands. These trimmers qualify as upper end weed trimmers that would rival any trimmer in the industry.
Husqvarna 128LD 17-Inch Straight Shaft Detachable String Trimmer, 28cc
- 28cc engine
- 17-Inch Cutting Width
- Uses .095 diameter trimmer line
- Attachment capable, 2 cycle unit
- Straight Shaft. Transmission gear ratio: 1.4
The Husqvarna 128LD is a lightweight multi-purpose trimmer perfect for homeowners. Easy starting with Smart Start recoil system and fuel pump. Strong, braided wire cable drive. Comes with easy loading T25 semi-automatic trimmer head.
Lightweight yet powerful, the Husqvarna 128LD Trimmer lets you tackle yard work with ease. This multipurpose trimmer comes with an easy-loading T25 automatic trimmer head and boasts a strong braided wire cable drive. It's ideal for homeowners who want a straightforward, reliable tool to handle branch, brush, and lawn care. The 128LD TrimmerAt a Glance: Lightweight, multipurpose tool ideal for homeowner use Detachable shaft for easy transport and storage Stop switch...
First Runner Up For Best Weed Trimmer
Makita XRU09Z 18V X2 (36V) LXT Lithium-Ion Brushless Cordless String Trimmer, Tool Only
- Makita-built Outer Rotor BL Brushless Motor direct-drive system provides high power and increased torque
- 2-speed options (Low: 5,000 RPM, High: 6,500 RPM) allows the operator to match speed to application
- Bump and Feed trimmer head rotates the same counterclockwise direction as professional grade trimmers
- Delivers up to 60 minutes of run time under load on the low speed setting using two 18V LXT 5.0Ah BL1850 batteries (batteries not included)
- Accepts industry standard spindles M10x1.25 LH for more convenience
Landscapers are demanding more cordless alternatives to corded and gas-powered outdoor power equipment. Makita is meeting demand with an expanding line-up of cordless OPE, including the 18V X2 (36V) LXT Lithium-Ion Brushless String Trimmer Kit (model XRU09Z, tool only, batteries and charger sold separately). With zero emissions, lower noise and considerably less maintenance, the 18V X2 (36V) LXT cordless string trimmer is a welcome solution for landscapers. It's powered by two fast-charging...
Best Gas Powered Weed Eater
For really big jobs that take a lot of muscle and cutting power, you should really consider a gas powered weed trimmer. The only drawback is that they are heavier than their cordless counterparts. They might be too much for small people or senior citizens. Along with the one we listed above, this gas powered weed whacker should be considered as well.
Troy-Bilt TB42 BC 27cc 2-Cycle Gas Brushcutter with JumpStart Technology
1 used from $ 184.44
- When a string trimmer alone just can't get the job done, rely on this brushcutter to power through dense weeds and brush
- Premium 27cc 2-cycle full-crank engine with JumpStart capability eliminating the need to pull cord
- Adjustable J-Handle provides added control and easy right or left-handed use
- 8-inch 4-tooth steel brush blade for taking on heavy vegetation
- Attachment-capable design allows the trimmer engine to power 10 different TrimmerPlus attachments, turning your trimmer into a garage full of tools
Troy-Bilt TB42 18 In. Gas String Trimmer & Brushcutter - 27 cc engine features SpringAssist with JumpStart capability. High capacity dual line bump head. Shaft has attachment capability. 8 In. 4-tooth steel brush blade for heavy vegetation,. Includes adjustable J-handle, brushcutter, and strap. Uses 0.105 In. diameter line. 2 year limited warranty. - Cutting Width: 18 In., Engine Size: 27 cc, Engine Type: 2-Cycle, Shaft: Straight, Line Diameter: 0.105 In., Cutting Head: Dual Line Bump Feed,...
The Best Cordless Weed Trimmers
If you are looking for a good weed eater that are lightweight and won’t break your back or strain your muscles, you might want to check out these trimmers. There are 3 options available for you and we are sure that we have one listed that will meet your needs.
Greenworks 14-Inch 40V Cordless String Trimmer (Attachment Capable), 4.0 AH Battery Included 21362
- Attachment capable, accepts most gas attachments to provide mulitple use
- Brushless motor delivers greater torque, quieter operation and higher battery efficiency
- Starts within seconds with gas comparable performance, battery compatible with multiple tools
- Battery and Charger include. Compatible with battery models 29462 and 29472 and charger 29482
- Compatible GreenWorks Replacement bulk string, Model 2906302
Whether it's mowing your yard, or trimming the hedges, weeds and limbs or blowing away debris; GreenWorks Tools offer a complete yard work solution to get your yard work done for a professional landscaped look with its eco-fuel systems. From 20v, 24v to 40v lithium-ion battery platforms, you can now find the best lawn and garden system that will fit your needs in cost (Price), power and versatility. The DigiPro Brushless G-MAX Series provides the gas comparable power without the gas....
Toro PowerPlex 51481 40V MAX Lithium Ion 13" Cordless String Trimmer/Edger, 2.5 Ah Battery & Charger Included
- Custom fit to operator Height with the adjustable length shaft
- 0.08" thick single line with auto feed - thicker, longer lasting line
- One button push and twist between modes from trimmer to edger mode
- Control speed with the variable speed trigger: Lower Speed = Longer Run Time; Higher Speed = Faster Cutting
- T90 Battery (90 watt-hours) provides up to 45 minutes run time from a full charge. T90 Battery (40-Volt max, 2.5 amp-hour, 90 watt-hour) and quick charger (60-minute charge time) included
Trim and edge your yard with Toro's PowerPlex 13" string trimmer/edger. This cordless, 40V Max trimmer/edger is well designed and easy to use. Minimal maintenance, touch-of-a-button start, variable speed trigger and automatic line feed, heavy-duty line make this tool a breeze to use. With 90 watt-hours, the T90 battery provides up to 45 minutes of run time and this battery charges in approximately 60 minutes in the quick charger. Take charge with Toro PowerPlex tools.
WORX 32-Volt GT2.0 String Trimmer/Edger/Mini-Mower with Tilting Head and Single Line Feed
- Comes with one 32V MaxLithium battery, 3 trimmer spools and charger
- 3-in-1 Capability with dual-position wheels for grass trimming, edging, and mowing. The battery and charger are packaged separately from the tool, but in the same box.
- Converts from a trimmer to an in-line edger in seconds with no tools
- Quick-release lever for fast telescopic height adjustments, and for the 90-degree tilting head
- 12-inch cutting diameter with automatic 100% single line feed (no bump)
The cordless WORX 32-volt Lithium MAX Powered Grass Trimmer and Edger has taken grass trimming and edging to a whole new level of power and function. With the 32-volts of MAX lithium battery power, the WG175 provides longer run times and more power. The 12-inch cutting diameter means more trimming in less time. Not only will this cordless trimmer convert to an edger in seconds, but it is also a mini mower. It has dual-positioned in-line wheels that make edging a breeze. The wheels can also...
Weed Whackers Under $100.00
If you are looking for a good weed trimmer that is not going to cause you to sell your firstborn son to pay for it, then you might want to check out these trimmers. There are 4 options available for you and we are sure that we have one listed that will meet your needs.
DEWALT DCST920B 20V Lithium Ion XR Brushless String Trimmer (Baretool)
Too low to display
- Brushless Motor maximizing motor efficiency and durability
- Dual 0.080" line with bump feed, with 13-inch cutting swath
- Variable trigger with speed control
- Patented gear drive design
- Battery sold separately. Product arrives in two pieces and need to be assembled.
The DEWALT DCST920B 20V MAX Lithium Ion XR Brushless String Trimmer (Baretool) provides precise power control with a variable speed trigger as well as performance and run time management with the Hi/Lo speed control switch. The brushless motor maximizes motor efficiency and durability. The patented gear drive design will provide more torque and maintain cut speed under load, while the dual .080" line with bump feed clears a full 13 Inch. Well balanced and only 8.5 lbs., the string trimmer...
BLACK+DECKER LSTE525BT 20V Smartech Max Easy Feed String Trimmer
- SMARTECH iOS and Android compatible app enables Bluetooth controls allowing remote battery locking/unlocking, battery locate, state of charge and programmable alerts and reminders
- Battery contains a built in USB port for charging phones, tablets, mp3 players - (2) LBXR20BT SMARTECH batteries included
- EASYFEED advances your line with the push of a button - no bumping required
- POWERCOMMAND Family of tools; EASYFEED, POWERCUT, POWERBOOST - helps solve common user frustrations when using Outdoor Power Equipment
- Part of the 20V MAX System - 1 System. Endless Tasks. Power for your Style
The BLACK+DECKER LSTE525BT SMARTECH 20V MAX EASYFEED String Trimmer is great for trimming areas of overgrowth after mowing, edging along borders, sidewalks and flower beds. EASYFEED advances your line with the push of a button - no bumping required. Power Drive Transmission increases torque for more cutting power at the string. The 2-speed control lets you boost power or extend runtime. This unit easily converts from trimmer to wheeled edger. The premium micro texture grip allows for maximum...
Ryobi P2060 One+ 18v Lithium-Ion 12in. String Trimmer/Edger Kit
1 used from $ 99.00
- Sold on Amazon
Kit includes: (1) P2006 Trimmer/Edger, (1) P105 High Capacity Li-Ion Battery, (1) P118 Dual Chemistry Diagnostic Intelliport Charger with Maintenance Mode and (1) Grass Deflector and Operator's Manual.
Toro 51480A 14" Electric Trimmer
- Powerful 5 amp motor easily cuts through thick grass and weeds
- Extra wide 14" dual line cutting head gets the job done faster
- 1-step walk behind edging - easily switch from trimmer to edger in seconds
- Telescoping shaft and adjustable assist handle provide extended reach
- With a simple push button, the trimmer converts to an edger in seconds.
Toro's 5 amp. string trimmer and edger are powerful and durable, with high-performing features that make yard care seem effortless. 14 in. wide dual line cutting width gets the job done quickly and user friendly features make the job much easier. With a simple 1-step push button, the operator can convert to edging in seconds and the wheel guides the edger for precision trimming. Powerful 5 amp motor easily cuts through thick grass and weeds Extra wide 14" dual line cutting head gets the job...
Preparing For The Summer Landscaping Season
Whether you live in the mountains, the suburbs, or the family farm, you are going to love your new weed trimmer. Getting rid of the drudgery of getting out the ole shovel and trowel, or even getting out your grandfathers scythe, and going out and chopping down weeds by hand will be well worth the investment.
Once you buy your new weed trimmer you will never regret your decision. You will be one step closer to being prepared for the summer landscaping season. You will have arrived in weed whacking heaven.
For more information about weed trimmers and their uses we recommend reading these articles for further study.
Weed Trimmer Reviews And Articles
Do YOU Want To Take Your Landscaping To The Next Level? Are YOU Tired Of Weeds Making Your Yard Ugly? DISCOVER Everything YOU NEED To Know About Weed Whackers In This INFORMATIVE Weed Trimmer Buying Guide.