If you have ever had to care for someone who was unable to lift themselves out of a chair, then you know how important it is to have some help with the job.
That is why I have had many people read my article on how to buy an electric lift chair. However one of the things I did not cover in that article was how much maintenance an electric lift chair takes and how to make sure the person using it is always safe in doing so.
So I decided to write this supplemental article on lift chair maintenance to help you keep your chair and your loved one in tip-top shape!
Lift Chair Maintenance And Care
So you have decided to buy an electric lift chair, but you want to know how much time you will need to spend maintaining it. Alternatively, you have already purchased one, and you want to know what to do to keep it in top shape. Well here are some tips that will help you keep your lift chair operating at peak performance for many years to come.
Our Top 3 Lift Chair Picks
There are three areas of your lift chair that you need to pay particular attention to. They are the motorized lift unit, the backrest, and the footrest. All three of these are controlled electronically.
- Don’t let water or liquids come into contact with any of these parts. It could be a shocking experience!
- Make sure you always plug your lift chair into a proper three-pronged electrical outlet.
- Don’t plug it into a two-pronged outlet or an adapter.
- Don’t plug your chair into an extension cord. Not only can that cause problem with overheating, but it increases the risk of Granny getting tangled in the cable!
Caring For The Fabric Of The Chair
- Inspect the fabric on a regular basis looking for tears, pulls, or gaps. Make sure you check the seams. They are high-stress points.
- Use mild; manufacturer recommended fabric cleaners to clean the fabric. Do not let the fabric cleaner come into contact with the electronics.
- Make sure to avoid the aforementioned shocking experience by unplugging the chair before cleaning it.
- Do not use solvent based cleaners and don’t soak the fabric. Use the soap sparingly.
- If you have a loved one with an incontinence problem, make sure you sanitize and deodorize while cleaning.
Maintaining the electronics of your chair may make some people nervous. However, if you follow these basic tips, you can prevent problems in the future, and they are easy to follow.
- Check the wiring and wiring harnesses to make sure they are not frayed, damaged, or corroded.
- Inspect your electronics to make sure they are being kept free of moisture and extreme temperatures. (heating vents or space heaters.)
- If you find electrical damage, immediately unplug the chair and call your manufacturer recommended service technician.
- If your chair has back up batteries, check the batteries and replace them annually.
- Check your chair controls or remote control and make sure they are clean. Use a damp cloth to clean them. Unplug your chair before performing a cleaning.
Electric Lift Chair Safety Tips
Here are a few reminders that will help you keep your lift chair and your loved ones safe from harm.
- A lift chair is not a toy. Please keep children from using it as one.
- Place the power cord where there is no danger of people tripping over it.
- Make sure your lift chair is positioned far enough away from the wall.
- Do not let objects get under or block the footrest.
- When not using the chair, put it in the down position.
Never sit in the chair when it is raised. Sit in the chair after it is in the lowered position.
- Never exceed the maximum weight limit of the chair.
- Do not retrieve fallen objects or place your hands under the chair while it is plugged in.
- Do not allow people to sit or stand on the footrest.
- Do not pull or move the chair with the footrest.
If you follow these helpful tips, then you will not only have a happy, loved one who gets years of comfort out of their chair, but you will have a chair that lasts for many years to come.
I hope you have a better idea on lift chair maintenance and safety. If you are in the market for a lift chair, you might want to read our list of the 10 best electric lift chairs that are still reasonably priced. Or you can read our individual lift chair reviews and informative lift chair articles like our buying guide.
Is Getting Out Of YOUR Recliner Getting Harder To Do? DISCOVER All The Benefits Of Owning A Lift Chair In This INFORMATIVE Mega Motion Lift Chair Review.
Is Getting Out Of YOUR Recliner Getting Harder To Do? DISCOVER All The Benefits Of Owning A Lift Chair In This INFORMATIVE Pulaski Lift Chair Review.
Is Getting Out Of YOUR Recliner Getting Harder To Do? DISCOVER All The Benefits Of Owning A Lift Chair In This INFORMATIVE Serta Lift Chair Review.
Is Getting Out Of YOUR Recliner Getting Harder To Do? DISCOVER All The Benefits Of Owning A Lift Chair In This INFORMATIVE Coaster Power Lift Recliner Review.
Are YOU Thinking About Buying A Lift Chair But You Don't Know What To Look For? Our Lift Chair Buyers Guide Is Written For YOU! DISCOVER The Things To Look For In An Electric Lift Chair.READ MORE +
What Is Involved In Lift Chair Maintenance? How Safe Are They For The Elderly And Disabled? DISCOVER Some Great Tips To Keep YOUR Lift Chair And Loved One Cared For.READ MORE +