All The Facts You Need – Will Medicare Pay For A Lift Chair?

Hey folks,We hope you love the products we recommend. Just so you know, Taber's Best Reviews may collect a small percentage of the sales you make after clicking through a link on this page. Oh and FYI, the prices were accurate and the products were in stock at the time we published this article.

Many people who are thinking of buying a lift chair ask the question, “will Medicare pay for a lift chair.”

One of the things I neglected to cover in my lift chair reviews article was information on this subject so I wanted to give you some idea of whether or not lift chairs are covered by Social Security Medicare and how much they will help to offset the cost.

What Is Medicare?

Medicare started in the sixties to help seniors with medical expenses. It was primarily funded by the federal government through payroll taxes.

Today it has increased in size and scope of coverage, and one of the things covered is what is called durable medical equipment. Electric lift chairs are part of this classification along with wheelchairs, mobility scooters, and oxygen supplies.

How Much Will Medicare Pay For A Lift Chair?

Generally, with durable medical equipment, Medicare will pay 80% of the cost of the device. The remaining 20% must be paid by the insured. However, with electric lift chairs, it is different.

Medicare will only pay for the lifting mechanism of the chair. They will not pay for the chair itself. So they take a percentage of the chair cost and will reimburse the insured up to $300.00

Our Top 3 Lift Chair Picks

What Type Of Lift Chairs Will Medicare Pay For?

Medicare will not pay for all types of lift chairs. Only lift chairs with an electrical lifting device qualify. Spring style devices and other models do not qualify. So make sure that if you want Medicare to reimburse you for part of the cost of your lift chair, that it is an electric lift chair.

Qualifications For Lift Chair Reimbursement

To qualify for reimbursement, the patient must meet the following criteria.

Criteria for seat lift chair reimbursement:

  1. Does the patient have severe arthritis of the hip or knees?
  2. Does patient have a severe neuromuscular disease?
  3. Is the seat lift mechanism a part of the physician’s course of treatment and is being prescribed to effect improvement, or arrest or retard deterioration in the patient’s condition?
  4. Is the patient utterly incapable of standing up from a regular armchair or any chair in their home?
  5. Once standing does the patient, have the ability to ambulate?

The criteria questions must be answered as follows:

1 or 2 must be answered YES

3,4,5 must be answered YES

A physician’s detail written order must be on file.

The order must contain the following information:

  • Patients full name
  • Description of item (Name of lift chair).
  • Length of need
  • Start date
  • Physician’s Signature and date

How To Get Reimbursed For Your Lift Chair

You need to download this form (CMS-849) and get your physician to fill it out.

Go to your local Medicare office with your CMS-849, prescription, and lift chair receipt.

Then wait for the government to reimburse you.

Will Medicare pay for a lift chair? If you meet the qualifications above, then the answer is yes.

If you are looking for a good lift chair, I would recommend you read our article on the ten best lift chairs you can buy without paying an arm and a leg to a medical supply company. Or you can read our lift chair reviews and informative lift chair articles like our buying guide.

Duke Taber is the owner of 3 successful websites and is now taking his skill as a writer and using it to help non-profit organizations and leaders around the world.

We would be happy to hear your thoughts on this item.

      Leave a reply